Conservation and Site Preservation at Sardis
Conservation has been a presence at Sardis since the Expedition’s first season in 1958. Over the last fifty-plus seasons the Conservation Lab has been critical to the ongoing archaeological inquiry and discovery at Sardis. The conservation team supports many aspects of the Expedition’s work, including the recovery and lifting of fragile finds (Figs. 1, 2); materials identification; cleaning, joining, and stabilization of excavated material for study and publication (Figs. 3, 4); as well as advising on and implementing various large-scale site preservation projects over the years.
The Sardis Conservation Lab has also served as an important training ground for conservation students since 1964, when Dr. Hanfmann first invited Professor Lawrence Majewski of New York University’s Institute of Fine Arts Conservation Center to Sardis (Figs. 5, 6). Each summer Master’s students train both in the lab and on-site at Sardis, with supervising and project conservators on hand to support and teach. Both American and Turkish conservation training programs are now represented in the lab, with students learning from each other and contributing different perspectives when approaching treatment decisions.
The following pages provide an overview and highlight some of the many recent conservation projects at Sardis: