- Hardly before the last quarter of the 4th century AD (Ameling); cf. no. 486 on Synagogue dating., Roman
- Sardis or Museum Inv. No.
- Marble, Stone
- Object Type
- Inscription Type
- Religious Inscription
- Inscription language
- Inscription Text
[Α]ὐρ. Εὐφρόσυ[νος] Σαρδιανὸς βουλ(ευτὴς) ἐπλήρωσα τὴν 2 [εὐ]χὴν ὑπ̣[ὲρ] τοῦ ἐκγόνου μου Εὐφροσύνου. leaf
- Inscription Translation
- “Aurelios Euphrosynos, citizen of Sardis, councilor, I fulfilled a vow on behalf of my grandson Euphrosynos.”
- Inscription Comment
- RT 62
- Syn MH Above Floor
- B-Grid Coordinates
- E87.5 / N18 *96.40
- Synagogue, Main Hall, northern half of Bay 7.
Fragments of four panels of wall revetment of white marble. The inscription is in two lines.
- Max. H. 0.37, preserved W. 1.64, H. of letters 0.06.
1 Marks of abbreviation after Αὐρ. and βουλ. - Between Εὐφρόσυ and [νος], Kroll prints by mistake the left half of an N (Th. Corsten in SEG). - Σαρδιανὸς βουλ(ευτής): see no. 488, 4–5 comm.
2 The translation in AE has “au nom de mon petit-fils Euphrosynos,” and, in a note, it is assumed that the dedicant of nos. 503 and 504 is the father of young Euphrosynos mentioned here. Kroll (followed by Ameling) assumes—as it seems, unconvincingly—that Αὐρ. Εὐφρόσυνος β´ of nos. 503 and 504 (β´ there restored) is identical with the ἔκγονος of the present Aurelios Euphrosynos, and that ἔκγονος here means “son,” not, as usually, “grandson.”
- See Also
- Partial edition: L. Robert, Nouv. inscr. Sard. I, p. 55, no. 15, pl. VI. Full edition: Kroll, “Inscr. Synagogue,” p. 31, no. 31; and p. 86, fig. 33, with reference to further previous (incomplete) editions (Ameling, Inscr. Jud. Or. II, pp. 263–64, no. 92, with reference to the previous editions; SEG 51, 1648; AE 2001, 1884).